In efforts to comply with the Charter School Omnibus bill that was passed in April 2012, Ka ʻUmeke seeks individuals with the following skill sets to serve on the governing board: a demonstrated understanding of the best practices of non-profit governance, strong financial management skills, academic oversight, human resources, and fundraising experience. As a Hawaiian Immersion charter school, Ka ʻUmeke also seeks board directors who understand and work in the field of Hawaiian language and cultural education, individuals with connections to institutions of post-secondary education in Hawaiʻi, and legal expertise. Currently, constituent groups elect 30% of board directors. The required skill sets are sought from ʻohana and community board directors who make up the remaining 70% of the board. It is important to Ka ʻUmeke that board directors are passion- ate about fulfilling Ka ʻUmeke’s vision and mission, however, the school recognizes that diverse perspectives and skill sets are necessary for creating a well-rounded governing body. Recommendations have been made to create a rubric to select community board members this may increase the boardʻs ability to recruit board members with the right skill sets and experiences.
New Directors to the board are selected in accordance with Act 130 and Ka ʻUmeke’s bylaws in the following manner:
Keaukaha School Site Kumu Representative, Pā Hoaka School site Kumu Representative, and Support Staff Representative are all selected in June of each year via a nomination based election process by their constituent groups. The Kumu Representative seats are each a one-year term and the Support Staff Representative is a two-year term.
Two ʻOhana Representatives are selected via election at the May or June Hui ʻOhana meeting. Both these seats are a one-year term.
One ʻOhana Representative is appointed by the Hui ʻOhana Board and is a member of the Hui ʻOhana Board. This is a two-year term.
The five community Representatives are selected by appointment of the board and approved via board director vote. Community seats are three- year terms.
The governing body ensures that the purposes of the school are being met.
Board director terms were intentionally set to be staggered one, two, and three-year terms to ensure there was never a 100% turnover rate at any one time. The purpose of this is to allow new directors to more effectively learn about board operations and history from and alongside experienced board directors.
The governing board is continuing to develop an orientation process to help new and existing board directors to more effectively carry out their duties and meet the needs of the school. Some of these steps include continuing to contract a board support professional to provide board training and general governing board information at monthly meetings and providing board directors with the Ka ʻUmeke board manual that outlines board di- rector conduct and responsibilities, and all school policies. Board directors realize that orientation is an on-going process that requires consistent adaptation to stay inline with changing school priorities and policies.
CURRENT BOARD MEMBERS
BOARD CHAIR: Lima Naipo
VICE CHAIR: Kaʻaka Swain
TREASURER: Laura Acasio
SECRETARY: Mānaiakalani Kalua
POʻOKUMU: Nohea Nahale-a
Ka ʻUmeke Kāʻeo Governing Board Meeting Schedule SY 2018-2019
|EXECUTIVE BOARD||FULL BOARD|
|July 10, 2018||July 24, 2018|
|August 14, 2018||August 28, 2018|
|September 11, 2018||September 25, 2018|
|October 9, 2018||October 23, 2018|
|November 13, 2018||November 27, 2018|
|December 11, 2018||December 27, 2018|
|January 8, 2019||January 22, 2019|
|January 24, 2019, 4:30p Emergency Executive Board meeting, Hale Lamalama
*To discuss personnel issues and will be held in executive session.
|February 12, 2019||February 26, 2019|
|March 12, 2019||March 28, 2019 * location changed
to Pā Hoaka
|April 9, 2019||April 30, 2019 * location changed
to Hale Lamalama
|May 14, 2019||May 28, 2019|
|June 11, 2019||June 27, 2019|
*Dates are tentative and depend upon quorum
Gov Agenda 10-25-16 *no quorum; meeting not held
Gov Agenda 5-23-17 *no quorum; meeting not held
Gov Agenda 7-25-17 *meeting postponed
Gov Agenda 11-28-17 *meeting not held
Gov Agenda Ka ʻUmeke 3-27-18 *meeting postponed
Gov Agenda Ka ʻUmeke 4-24-18
*Minutes pending approval
Gov Minutes 6-28-18
Gov Minutes 7-24-2018
Gov Agenda 1-8-19
*no quorum; no meeting held
Gov Agenda 4-30-19
**NOTE: Location of meeting has been changed to Hale Lamalama
November Minutes: November Meeting was a special meeting held in Executive Session
Gov Agenda 1-21-20
*no meeting held this month
Gov Agenda 3-12-20
Gov Agenda 4-21-20